There were TONS of injuries in week 2 and there are plenty of replacements on the waiver. Below are some players to target heading into week 3.
- Baker Mayfield (CLE) vs WAS
- Gardner Minshew (JAC) vs MIA
- Philip Rivers (IND) vs NYJ
- Justin Herbert (LAC) vs CAR
Tight Ends (Could be long term solutions too):
- Chris Herndon (NYJ) at IND
- Logan Thomas (WAS) at CLE
- Drew Sample (CIN) at PHI
- Mo Alie-Cox (IND) vs NYJ
- Tampa Bay at DEN
- Indianapolis vs NYJ
- LA Chargers vs CAR
Waiver Running Backs:
- Mike Davis (CAR) – With McCaffrey out for at least 4 weeks, Mike Davis is the next man up for the Panthers. Since the injury occurred after they were down, Davis got a lot of targets in the passing game with 8 catches and 74 yards. Even though it was garbage time, Davis looked pretty good and he should also handle the majority of carries going forward.
- Myles Gaskin (MIA) – After two weeks, it looks like Gaskin is Miami’s guy. He tied Breida in carries but had 9 more yards. Gaskin also had 6 receptions for 36 yards. Miami is going to be behind a lot and will give up the run but Gaskin will still be valuable as a flex play in PPR leagues.
- Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson Jr. (SF) – Both Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman suffered injuries against the Jets which leaves McKinnon as the starting back. McKinnon didn’t get many touches but did break out a 55 yard run and got a 16 yard touchdown. With Garoppolo also out, the 49ers may rely heavily on the run allowing both McKinnon and Wilson to get touches.
- Darrell Henderson Jr (LAR) – This is more dependent on the injuries to Malcolm Brown and Cam Akers. Brown’s injury is not as serious so he should be back next week but Akers is expected to be sidelined a week or two. Could be used as a short term replacement if you lost someone to this wild week of injuries.
Other running backs:
Frank Gore/Josh Adams (NYJ), Dion Lewis/Devonta Freeman (NYG)
Waiver Wide Receivers:
- Russell Gage (ATL) – I said it last week but since it does seem Atlanta is going to have to pass all game, Gage is going to be targeted heavily. With Julio also battling an injury, Gage could be the number 2 WR for a week or two.
- Michael Pittman Jr. (IND) – Parris Campbell suffered a PCL injury and is expected to miss some time. Pittman saw the most targets with 6 and caught 4 for 37 yards. Rivers only passed it 25 times as the Colts gave Jonathan Taylor 26 carries.
- KJ Hamler/Tim Patrick (DEN) – It is unfortunate Courtland Sutton hurt his knee as he was primed for a big year. Jeudy should be the main guy but KJ Hamler might see a bigger role. He had 7 targets against Pittsburgh which was the same amount of Jeudy. Lock is expected to miss a few weeks but Jeff Driskel still threw two touchdowns against Pittsburgh’s defense. KJ Hamler is definitely worth the add but Tim Patrick may also be worth the stash in deeper leagues.
- Tre’Quan Smith (NO) – It was not clear if Smith or Emmanual Sanders would be targeted more with Michael Thomas out but it was not even close in week 2. Smith was targeted 7 times to Sanders 3. Smith is definitely startable while Thomas it out – and even when he comes back in deeper leagues.
Other notable receivers:
Marquez Valdes-Scantling (GB), Braxton Berries (NYJ)